https://www.facebook.com/Paintbyheartart

Monday, July 12, 2010

My Artist Statement

Artist Statement - Erin Myers
Share
Art is as much a part of me as my hands and feet , it is natural and permanent.


Painting was a happy accident. Something I fell into, and have fallen in love with.To say I stumbled upon it is the absolute truth , someone handed me a brush and said try.
 I paint because it exhilarates me, like sitting on a swing and pushing yourself as far into the clouds as you can go. It is a different head space , a beautiful thing to get lost inside. 
I want my paintings to speak to people , whether on a personal level or in some way outside of themselves.I have always been shy, however my work is anything but.I paint because I can speak loudly and truthfully without saying a single word.
People are always present in my paintings, their stories, faces, figures, spoken words, lyrics, and belongings.
I am inspired by the flaws, the little imperfections, emotional baggage, and the secrets we all hold so dear.
I enjoy working with figures, and capturing a moment of stillness.
I never fear the messy, half of the beauty is in the process.
Thick wet paint and being covered in it from head to toe.
Text often makes it way into my work, scrawled through wet paint.
Painting is as much about making a mark as taking something away, etching into a dark surface, or revealing layers of color. Destruction can come into play too, I’ve often cut holes in canvas, and added pieces in behind those holes. There is something scary and satisfying about cutting into a canvas, like breaking the rules of something that “ should” be.


People are constantly growing, changing and finding pieces of themselves they didn’t know were there. That’s how I feel about my work, it’s growing,forever changing.No matter how far I try to remove myself from it, there is always a piece of me within it. 
It has taken me a long time to define myself as an artist. There is no clearly laid out definition of what it is to be an artist, no right or wrong answer. It becomes a piece of you, a piece of your heart and soul.


“ Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.” - Unknown


- Erin Myers
Mixed Media Artist &  Painter

No comments:

Post a Comment